Friday, September 19, 2008

Response to Menu Driven Identities Workshop

This is a little bit late but heres my thoughts anyway!
I agree that it is interesting to note that the lavalife home page immediately assumes the perhaps stereotypical options for first time users - female seeking male (or vice versa) aged beteen 25 - 34 for "casual dating." When browsing through the profiles I paid particular attention to the categories of indentification filled out by the lavalife users. I find it interesting that under the 'ethnic background' category, the majority of people have selected 'white' I didn't create an account myself but would be curious to know if anyone else was brave enough to do so - what were the other options? black? brown? and would those of asian background also select white? As this is the colour of their skin? This catergorisation seems problematic as it is far too restrictive - lavalife could substitute 'ethnic background' for skin colour and they would get the same answers. The term 'white' is hardly indicative of your cultural background. I did find a few people who had answered 'mixed.' Also very reductive and could mean anything really.

The body type option was also one that generated the same answers over and over - most users defining themselves as 'fit' or 'average.' Perhaps reluctant to disclose that they are 'skinny' or 'overweight.'

No comments: